CEC's Standards Development Process
Watch this webinar, hosted by the chairs of the Standards Development Workgroup, for information on the development process and current drafts.
Workgroup Charge & Goals
CEC’s Professional Preparation Standards define the specialized expertise special educators must master for the safe and effective practice of special education. These standards are used to inform preparation programs, accreditation organizations, and licensing agencies. CEC partners with the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP), a national educator preparation program accreditor, to recognize education programs that prepare teachers to work with students with exceptionalities, based on their meeting of standards established by CEC.
The current CEC Initial and Advanced Preparation Standards, last approved by CAEP in 2012, each include seven standards with a total of 28 elements, and are the standards all programs must meet to receive national recognition from CEC. Every seven years, CAEP requires that Specialized Professional Associations (SPAs) like CEC, review their professional standards and make revisions, as necessary, and with input from the field they represent. CAEP has approved a standards application submission deadline for CEC of July 2020.
In April 2017, the CEC Board of Directors approved a set of recommendations drafted by the Framing Paper Workgroup, which outlined specific direction for CEC staff, volunteer leaders and consultants to convene a work group tasked to review and revise CEC’s preparation standards. The first recommendation of the Framing Paper Workgroup was that CEC “Establish a Standards Development Workgroup to be comprised of twelve (12) people.” This work group is tasked with reviewing and revising the CEC professional preparation standards, per the CAEP guidelines and based on the recommendations outlined in the Framing Document.
As the standards development process continues, updates and opportunities for public feedback will be posted here, and shared in Special Education Today.
Anticipated Standards Development Timeline
- Call for workgroup applications opened - May 2017
- First draft of standards developed – April 2018
- Standards draft open for public comment – Spring/Summer 2018
- Draft standards, components and supporting explanations open for public comment – Spring 2019
- Draft standards to Professional Standards & Practices Committee and CEC Board of Directors for review – Spring 2019
- CAEP-approved standards application submission deadline: July 1, 2020
Should the standards be accepted by CAEP on this timeline, programs may begin using them for program report submissions in Spring 2021, and must be used for program report submissions beginning in Spring 2023.
Standards Development Workgroup Members
- Dee Berlinghoff, Co-Chair, Mount St. Mary College
- Ginnie McLaughlin, Co-Chair, College of William & Mary
- Tisa Aceves, Loyola Marymount University
- Rachelle Bruno, Northern Kentucky University
- Ginevra Courtade, University of Louisville
- Theresa Garfield, Texas A&M University—San Antonio
- Shannon Gormley Budin, SUNY Buffalo State
- John M. Johnston, University of Memphis
- Mary Little, University of Central Florida
- Erica McCray, University of Florida
- Kevin Rubenstein, Lake Bluff School District 65, Ill.
- Vicki D. Stayton, Western Kentucky University
- James McLeskey, University of Florida