Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is the Group Membership and Professional Development Package?
The Group Membership and Professional Development Package is an excellent way for a school, district, or educational entity to provide their teachers and staff with the tools, resources, and professional development they need to advance the success of children and youth with exceptionalities.
A Group Membership & Professional Development Package is good for one year from the time of purchase and includes:
- ONE (1) Premier CEC annual Membership, which includes (in addition to all membership benefits):
- Membership in the special interest division, Council for Administrators of Special Education (CASE) and,
- Professional Liability Insurance (some restrictions apply.)
Ideal for your group’s special education supervisor, administrator or staff leader.
- FIVE (5) Basic CEC annual Memberships, with the option to purchase Professional Liability Insurance and/or special interest division(s) for additional fees.
Ideal for your group’s classroom teachers, paraprofessionals, and support personnel.
- TWO (2) registrations for the CEC Annual Convention & Expo. You decide which two staff members to send to the CEC Convention & Expo that occurs during your membership year.
- Access to THREE (3) recorded professional development webinars. Select from CEC’s library of webinars and watch them at your convenience, as a group, or invite additional staff members to enrich their special education knowledge.
2. Who is eligible to be included in the Group Membership/Professional Development Package (Group Package)?
Any teacher, supervisor, counselor, principal, administrative staff, etc. may be included in the Group Membership Package. One person will need to be identified as the manager and primary contact for the group. It is not required for the group manager to be an individual member of the Group Package.
To be eligible for the package, an individual must be a new CEC member, or a former CEC member whose membership has expired (membership will have an expiration date of the package.) If an individual has a current Premier or Full membership, they will not be eligible to be included in the package until after the individual’s current term has expired.
3. What are the manager’s responsibilities?
The manager will oversee the application submission as well as take responsibility to submit the purchase order or credit card payment to CEC. As the primary point of contact with CEC, the manager will receive information from CEC on how the members can take advantage of the benefits included in the Group Package and will distribute those communications to group members.
4. Can there be two managers?
No, there can only be one Group Package manager at a time.
5. Can additional teachers/professionals be added in the package?
Managers may add more teachers and professionals to their Group Package for the price of one membership per person added (price varies depending on membership level selected). A $5 discount will be added for each additional membership.
6. Can CEC Special Interest Divisions be added to the package?
Division memberships may be added (with an additional charge) by the manager at the time of application. Division memberships can also be added by teachers and professionals by contacting CEC Member Services at 888.232.7733.
7. What are some of the benefits of the Group Membership Package?
- Reduced pricing when compared to the same amount of individual memberships
- Two complimentary registrations for the CEC Annual Convention & Expo (Attendance is complimentary only for the CEC Convention conducted during the Group Membership’s 12-month period)
- Group members will have access to three recorded professional development webinars at no additional cost
8. How will the benefits that are part of the package be distributed?
The Group Package benefits are provided to the manager who is responsible for distributing them to Group Package members. These benefits include additional webinars and two complimentary registrations to the CEC Annual Convention & Expo.
Group Package members can access their online member benefits by logging into cec.sped.org as a member. Benefits include:
- Discounts on CEC products, events and services
- CEC’s discounted insurance offerings
- The online All-Member Forum
- Members-only webinars (announced throughout the year)
- Electronic access to Teaching Exceptional Children
- Other benefits
9. If I leave my School/School District, what happens to my membership?
If you leave your School/District during the membership term, your CEC membership will be cancelled.
You are welcome to join CEC as an individual member, at any membership option. Dues and options located here: www.cec.sped.org/membership
10. Are substitutions allowed?
At this time, no substitutions are allowed in the Group Package.
11. Who will receive renewal notices?
Renewal notices for Group Package and add-ons will be communicated to the manager.
12. What is the CEC Membership Refund Policy?
Membership cancellation requests made by the manager within 48 hours of initial payment may be eligible for a full refund. All refund requests must be in writing and must provide reasoning for the cancellation.
13. When does the package term expire?
The CEC membership term is one year. All memberships begin when dues are processed and continue for a complete twelve months (Sample membership terms are March 7, 2020 through March 31, 2021 and November 1, 2020 through November 30, 2021). All individuals included in the Group Package, including teacher/professional add-ons, will have the same term expiration date.
14. How do I access and make changes to my profile?
Members of the package may access their profile by going online at www.cec.sped.org and signing in as a member. Your login username is your email address. Contact CEC Member Services at 888-232-7733 to make any necessary changes.
15. Can there be different packages within the same school district?
Yes, schools within the same school district can join and have different CEC Group Packages.